Saturday, July 21, 2012

Summer Saturday

While I sipped my version of nectar (a glass of Sauvignon blanc), this little guy kept me company sipping his own sugar-water brew. He likes to hover a few feet from my face, and today he hovered just out of reach of my cat Flip, taunting him. (The cat got very still.)

I am undone by the ephemeral presence of these birds, how they seem to exist between the insect and the bird world — not fully avian. Their wings flap anywhere from 12 to 80 beats per second, and they are the only bird specie that can fly backwards. My favorite hummingbird feat is when one rises vertically, from a hover at eye level, to well above treetops.




9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only just woken up... Woops!

    Lucky you; I'd love to see those here. My suggestion is to continue with the Sauvignon; it obviously attracts them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually they're Boeing mini-drones used by the SPD to spy on who has unauthorized bird baths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We keep our feeders full and fresh. They're not to be missed. Hummingbirds live about five years, and we've had some characters visit us in the last thiry years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hummingbird sightings are very good luck. and this one is keeping you company!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful photo. how lovely for you to be sipping and enjoying such a view. I love the sounds they make as they buzz and dive-bomb a feeder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have so many of them out here, dipping and whirring about the penstemon especially. They really are astounding --

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fierce little buggers. I've gotten them to take showers in my water hose if I have it on gentle enough. That's a treat. They stick their little feat up into the spray.

    Hummingbirds are too quick for cats, but many/most songbirds are not--that's why mine stays indoors only.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Murr, thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I too have had the pleasure of a hummingbird taking a shower in the hose spray — he/she unfurled each wing in succession into the spray. A magical moment in a midsummer evening!

    ReplyDelete