Sunday, November 9, 2008



We were lucky to happen upon a pair of herons yesterday
while walking along the Sammamish Slough. (Unfortunately,
it's name has been "prettified" to Sammamish River. No no no.
Slough = slow moving canal-like river. A slough's a slough.)
Anyway, the morning clouds parted for a few hours
and the late-afternoon sun set against that threat of rain
made for some brilliant contrasts in the light.



The herons were on the far bank of the slough, and as one prepared
to launch itself I started fumbling with my camera, and then
a dog darted down the bank in pursuit of the bird, and it
lifted off just as I untangled my fingers, and I managed to snap
the photo in my header.

6 comments:

  1. Here's a clue:
    No matter what you do,
    A slough is a slough is a slough.
    Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a clue:
    No matter what you do,
    A slough is a slough is a slough.
    Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go again.....gorgeous works of art, these heron photos and your header? FABULOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ima: honestly, I'm just messing around, but thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete